Nutrition Australia is a non-profit, non-government, national organisation whose mission is to promote optimal health to all Australians by encouraging food variety and physical activity through the delivery of nutrition education programs.
Nutrition Australia produces a range of nutrition focused publications including books, booklets, posters and leaflets many of which have been designed for childcare centres.
Nutrition Services for Early Learning Centres
The early learning service provides accurate and up to date early life nutrition information. It will ensure your facility meets and exceeds the food and nutrition related principles of the Quality Improvement and Accreditation System (QIAS) and Family Day Care Quality Assurance (FDCQA) Quality Practices Guides.
Membership of the Nutrition Services for Early Learning Centres provides benefits such as:
• Access to Nutrition Australia’s Dietitian for nutrition information via phone or email
• Quarterly newsletter ‘Toddler Bites’
• Discounted presentations/workshops
• 10% discount on nutrition resources
• Childcare specific nutrition publications
Childcare Breakfast Program:
Between 2008-2009 Nutrition Australia conducted a childcare breakfast program within Shellhabour. This program was funded through Barnardo’s for Communities for Children Shellharbour which aimed to promote the importance of breakfast at childcare centres. The program included fun, informative activities for children promoting breakfast consumption everyday.
Understanding Nutrition Presentation
*Package A: 1 Hour Presentation
An APD/AN will visit your facility to deliver the following services:
One Hour Workshops include:
• Practice guides
• Dietary guidelines for children under five
• Importance for food variety and fluids
• Nutrition concerns for children in long day care
• Guidelines to avoid choking
• Managing food allergies and intolerances
• Dealing with fussy eaters
*Package B: 2 Hour Presentation
Package B covers all topics in Package A plus food safety and hygiene.
Understanding Nutrition, Food Handling & Meal Planning
*Package C: Half Day
• Facility visit by Nutrition Australia dietitian/nutritionist
• Outlining Long Day Care Centre QIAS requirements
• Outlining Family Day Care Centres FDCQA requirements
• Dietary Guidelines for children
• Nutrition Policy
• Meal Planning
• Food Handling
Reclaim the lunchbox
A Nutrition Australia dietitian/nutritionist will visit your facility for an interactive information and education session covering any nutrition topics of interest.
This one hour workshop will cover:
• Practical healthy snack and lunch ideas
• Dealing with picky eaters
• Food allergies and intolerances
• A lesson on food labels
• Food variety
• How to make lunchboxes fun
This service helps childcare centres that provide food to ensure accreditation guidelines are being met in terms of food and nutrition by the National Childcare Accreditation Council in principle 6.1 of the QIAS Quality Practices Guides.
Reports incorporate nutritional requirements for children based on the National Health and Medical Research Councils recommended dietary intakes (RDIs) and the Australian Guidelines for Children and Adolescents.
Food Safety Assessment
Nutrition Australia’s Food Safety Assessment will help your childcare centre to meet the Indicators for High Quality Care in Principle 6.2 of the QIAS Quality Practices Guide.
An APD/AN will visit your facility to observe and assess your centres food hygiene and handling procedures.
A dietitian/nutritionist will view your policies and protocols: discuss current food safety legislation and accreditation guidelines: check that standards are being met and provide food safety information relevant to your LDC facility. A report will include: outlining the outcome of the assessment with recommendation to better meet the food safety standards and limit future food safety issues developing.
• Fundraising Ideas for Healthy Kids
• Managing Food Allergies and Intolerances in Childcare and OSHC
• Menu Planning for Childcare Centres
• Meeting Nutrition and Food Hygiene Guidelines for Accreditation in Childcare
• Recipe Remedies for OSHC
• Food and Play Poster
Accredited Practising Dietitian
Ph: 02 4257 9011